Monday 4 June 2012

Public Yum Server

You’ve probably noticed that I’ve been doing a lot of work with OEL lately.  I’ve been building a lot of DEMO machines and have invested heavily on OEL and OVM.  I’m happy with all technology and stability.  I’m impressed with the speed of system commissioning.

I’m installing yast for my EM12c agent integration.  I need to install boost package and perl-digest-SHA1, but have problems with my ULN subscription (or lack there of!)

I’ve recently come across an issue where I cannot update the packages on a new server due to a lack of ULN subscription:

[root@e1oid yast_el5_x86_64]# yum install perl-Digest-SHA1 boost
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
This system is not registered with ULN.
ULN support will be disabled.
Setting up Install Process
No package perl-Digest-SHA1 available.
No package boost available.
Nothing to do

Great, but solution is even greater!

http://public-yum.oracle.com/

 
# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
# wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-el5.repo



  1. Enable the appropriate repository by editing the yum configuration file


    • Open the yum configuration file in a text editor
    • Locate the section in the file for the repository you plan to update from, e.g. [el4_u6_base]
    • Change enabled=0 to enabled=1


  2. Begin using yum, for example:

    yum list


Then run your install command again!

Enjoy!

No comments: