Wednesday 3 November 2010

gnome-session in OEL

I needed to run a graphical session on my OEL machine to change the date and time.  I have this post which shows me how to start an Z session via VNC: http://moistymoistymoisty.blogspot.com/2010/10/running-oracle-install-on-linux-oel.html – but I had to take this a step further and see a desktop and goto administration –> date and time.

Sure I could fumble my way through command line options – but this was bound to go wrong on a production machine.  I also needed to check the timezone settings, which could also take me a little bit of time.

The simple answer is to run “gnome-session” after setting up your vnc environment.  I know that this IS very simple, but when you don’t do it every day – it’s nice to write it down for next time.

No comments: