Tuesday 1 March 2016

If you are considering a surface book, DON’T DO IT!

I recently bought a surface book.  I got the grizzly bear, it has 16GB of RAM and i7 processor – cost a fortune.  I wanted a real road warrior.  I do lots with VM’s, programming etc.  It needs to perform.

Im back using my macbook pro must of the time, this surface book is terrible!

image

Look at the CPU usage above, using word, outlook and visio…  100%, I cannot do anything….

I cannot tell if it’s windows 10 or my use of onedrive or what, but this machine runs like a complete donkey.  Nice that there is one throat to choke, as I have a hardware device, operating system and office suite all from a single vendor – Microsoft.  I’m constantly restarting programs because it’s unusable.  We are back to early 2000’s, restarting Microsoft word every couple of hours because your document has more than 25 pages.  It’s so frustrating.

image

It’s very standard to have the system and compressed memory up at 34% the entire day…  This causes the fan to run for the entire day… 

This is the second surface book I have had.  I had to take the first one back after 2+ hours on the phone and then repeating the same conversation in the Microsoft shop in Sydney for 2 hours.  The USB when docked would constantly come in and out – when the microsoft dock was connected.  It was fine if the surface book dock was plugged into the screen directly (screen separated from keyboard).

I get numerous system crashes, generally every could of days.  This has been a very disappointing purchase and I would not get another one.

Lesson here, don’t go bleeding edge on these things, let them settle in for a while.

</rant>

No comments: