Wednesday 26 August 2015

I love excel, period

This is not specifically JD Edwards related, just sharing some feelings I have for excel.

I know that I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – excel is amazing.  The fact that I can program makes a big difference, because if I cannot find a function (or articulate what I want to do in a google search), then I can write code to run the command.  This is a short homage to the countifs function, to which I was going to solve with VBA code.

Countifs allows you to run multiple countif’s (hence the name) that aggregate the criteria.  This is great for summarising data, so if you had lines of people names, dates and hours  booked, you can count entries based upon name and date and get a great summary.

image

So if I wanted a consolidated list by person, who entered time for a date, I can do +countifs(RANGE, CRITERIA, RANGE2, CRITERIA2)  where RANGE 1 is dates and criteria is the date on the line I’m calculating and range 2 is person and criteria is the name. 

No comments: