Thursday 29 July 2010

Things you can do with JDE that people say you can’t

 

Q:  Can I print automatically with any version of JDE?  Can I print something twice?  Can I email a report to myself when complete?  Can I move large reports to a certain directory / alternate storage so that viewing the file won’t crash my webserver. 

A:  Yes, yes, yes you can use an OSA (Output Stream Access) program to automatically do “Anything” with a PDF file after it has been written.  I’ve used OSA’s to calculate the size of the PDF file and then substitute it with another file.  The other file gives the end user a URL to get the large PDF without killing the JVM or using the JVM memory!  OSA’s can automatically email a job to an end user once it has completed…  They are quite cool.

OSA’s have like an OCM for the UBE’s.  You can say for this user / version / ube / environment combo, automatically call this OSA.

Of course the new releases have functionality to printImmediate for a version with a flag on the BV, which is very handy too.  Although this does not allow for the printing twice, or emailing or other funky things.

No comments: