Tuesday 9 April 2019

JDE Object Analysis

Have you ever wanted to know which module in JDE is the most complex?  Which one has the most modules, the most complexity or the most code?

No…  Neither have I.  But not that I’ve created the report, I find it pretty interesting.

You can go here and slice and dice some default data using my interactive dashboard:
Make sure that you look at the report, there is so much more data in the interactive report, allowing you to filter and control the results.

This report does a lot more than what the surface indicates.  As it's actually created a unique hash of the code behind the scenes, so this allows me to compare the code between pathcodes or back to JDE to see what has actually changed at my site.  This is going to prepare me for continuous delivery.

But, this also shows the power of dataStudio from google and how a moving report is SO much more valuable than a static one.

This has 4 main pages;
The first page compares the amount of code (yes, I really want to tell you how I got this), the number of controls – yes, I also want to explain how I did this.  Take the size of code to be relative, but I’s a sum of all the “code” like objects that are stored as blobs – this includes source code for BSFN and BSSV.

I could have used a logarithmic scale to see the control count better.  I put this on page 4.
There was actually some SQL over the top of the all of the central objects files (F987*) to determine all of this.  Looking at BLOBs.

The second page is all about how many objects in each system code, try the filters out, very cool.


Finally, I have a pie chart, just because I like pies.  You'll need to go and look at that one.

This is a good summary of relative complexity of modules in JDE.  No amazing and actual value, but if you were to compare with what you actually use, then it started to get interesting!

If you want to look at your data, which can include custom system codes, this is a fairly trivial task to execute.



No comments: