Wednesday 28 November 2018

ERP analytics–what is the performance impact?


I have a number of clients asking about the performance impact of ERP analytics.  What is ERP analytics a comprehensive suite of reports over the top of JD Edwards usage information.  Giving system administrators instant feedback to what is being used, how often and how fast.  You know this is you read my blog.

People get a little nervous about the effects that this might have on interactive performance, so I thought that I might allay those fears, with some data.

This is an example of me logging into JD Edwards and pulling up 5 applications and then closing them again, this is good for ERP analytics, some of them have auto-find and therefore you get an idea of the database performance and sometimes the application server performance.

This is easy too, we can give a list of applications that have auto find and compare these with applications that do not, therefore when the database is slow – these are all affected more!  cool hey?  This can all be done with a custom segment too, for example:

So based upon my basic segment definition to have a list of forms and apps that have autofind enabled (actually best to use FORM, it’s more accurate)

image

I can see the relative performance of the “autofind” screens vs. standard screen, which allows to be narrow down those that are affected more by database slow downs. 

Back to my post…

So I want to know the impact of google analytics on my ERP, I’ve got it plugged in and enabled and now I can enable developer view in chrome, this gives me some really cool stats on what is going on under the covers.

I can see that on a session that went for 2.2 minutes or approximately 132 seconds, we are sending 1.9KB (of 332KB), we waited in TOTAL for google analytics 955ms – under a second.  This has loaded and closed 5 applications and logged in and out.  So there is a lot of activity for  less than 1 second (less than 1%) delay.  Great news.


image

Remember the insights that you can gather out of this data, which actually get more valuable the longer that you have it enabled.

No comments: