Wednesday 19 July 2017

ODA goodness–has this thing started to win me over

If you know about ODA’s, you probably know why I like the X6 about 100000 times more than anything before it – it all comes down to IOPS.  If you want more than 1500 IOPs consistently – then you might want to move on from the X5 if you have a very large database.  The X5 does have some cool stuff to mitigate it (it being the lack of IOPS), but at the end of the day there is limited FLASH to get that slow SAS data closer to the CPU.

But, the X6 is very fast and very nice and very FLASH

One thing I needed to do is quickly test 12c database version, so this can be done with a 1 click [need to be honest here, there is NO graphical interface native on the ODA, you need to start getting very familiar with oakcli commands.  Although this has escalated my confidence, I’ve started writing ksh scripts and automating everything I need on this machine.

Take a look at the above, 1 oakcli command and we are upgrading to 12C, both RAC nodes – everything.

That is cool!  (PS. I know that I can also do this is AWS RDS – and that is a click – so I guess this is just okay)…

There is no progress indicator, just “It will take a few minutes”.

A little “extra for experts”, do not modify the .bash_profile for oracle on the oda_base.  I had it prompting me for what oracle home I wanted and this was breaking a bunch of commands – what a dope I am.

I might make another post in 1 hour when this has broken and I’m picking up the pieces…

No comments: