Tuesday 3 February 2015

windows find specific files

I’m using findstr because the find window is complete rubbish, but now I have another issue.  I want to list the files I’ve “found” in explorer to copy them to another folder.  Ironically I want to zip them up and move them to my Mac so that I can sed and awk the cr@p out of them and get to the bottom of a tricky network problem at a client.

So, I have the list of files in a dos window and I paste them into EXCEL and add some “ OR “ with a basic concatenate function. (& thanks Shae) [=+A4&" OR "].  Then I past then into the explorer find window and prefix it with the ultra intuitive “system.filename:”

The exact syntax for the find multiple and specific files:

system.filename: jde_11156.log OR     jde_12268.log OR     jde_3680.log OR     jde_4296.log OR     jde_4516.log OR     jde_4596.log OR     jde_5384.log OR     jde_7776.log OR     jde_7896.log OR     jde_9220.log OR     jde_9772.log OR     jde_9980.log

So now, I have a window with all of the files that contains the text I’m searching for without crappo windows find.

image

Quickly copy and create zip and send to unix and now I can get to work.  cygwin do I hear you calling – maybe you are right.

2 comments:

Richard Drouillard said...

I tried to think of the last time I 100% trusted the Windows Explorer Find capability.

I think it was Windows 2000


Shannon Moir said...

Amen Richard, it's so frustrating.