Tuesday 14 January 2014

windoze search is a COMPLETE DONKEY

Tell me this, please…

I do the following in windows explorer search:

image

contents:ORA and I get NO results

I search for ORA and then click file contents and I get no results

image

I then go to my trusty command window and enter:

D:\JDEdwards\E910\log>findstr ORA *.log

and I get a TON of results.

I honestly don’t know how we are supposed to trust an OS (a commercially focused OS like 2008R2) if it cannot search the contents of TXT files / log files “out of the box”.

Do I really need to change the role of the server to enable windows search service to search the contents of log files?

2 comments:

Richard Drouillard said...

It's definitely a problem. When it works, it's very fast and I appreciate that, but if there is one instance where I think a file isn't there because of the search results and I move on to something else, then it has failed completely and has undone any goodwill it had before.

When it comes to servers, slow and reliable is always preferable to fast and possibly wrong.

I know that configuring search can result in the behaviour I want, but I shouldn't have to 'configure' search on a server out of the box, especially if this is the only platform I have this issue on.

Deepesh said...

Google Desktop is now Obsolete, but it can do a hell lot of things. A definite must have.