Tuesday 5 July 2011

forefront killing my CPU

I was seeing that Forefront was killing the CPU on my host laptop.  This was not during a scheduled full scan, just general real-time protection.  I was running a couple of VM's, outlook, word, browsers -  nothing too bad, but the CPU was getting killed.  I'd disable realtime protection and things would go back to normal.  msmpeng.exe was the offending pid.

So, process monitor helped me find out that the oracle install for my fat client was causing all of the problems.  As soon as I made an exception of c:\oracle, I get a nice smooth (relatively) CPU graph.

2 comments:

kremerint said...

How did you use process monitoring to find out that Oracle was causing the problem?

Shannon Moir said...

Despite the name, process monitor gives you all sorts of information about files that are open etc. I was able to determine that the virus scanner was opening / struggling with the files in the oracle dir.