Friday 19 March 2010

Windows Virtual PC and windows7

Wow, talk about some tight integration.  We can see windows virtual machines in the menu structure of my windows7 maching natively.

image

But also, even better, you can run applications from the VM on your desktop as if it’s just a normal application!

 

image

You can see in my menu that I’m running some old 32 bit apps that are not supported on 7 as if they are running natively on my machine.  The virtual machine is started in the background, so it takes a little while.  Totally awesome though!!!!

Note that there is a bit of a gotcha with the VMs and the use of “integrated security”.  I have my support VM’s so that they log in automatically, don’t really know local usernames or passwords.  But to use the “integrated security” functionality (like drive mapping), you need to log into the VM when you start it!  A little bit different!

No comments: