Friday 24 October 2008

Java generation, oh how ye sucks

I seem to have a lot of problems with Java Generation. I'm trying to understand why...

Get this, my latest problem set.

So, for some reason (I'm going to find out, trust me). My PY812 f989999 was generated with an OID and UID with VARCHAR. So, all of the deletes had loads of spaces in the front, and they found no rows... then the inserts failed... Meanwhile, I've had a PY webserver down for 2 days and have been too scared to promote anything to production in case the same thing was going to occur.

No matter what I did, truncate F989999 & F989998 - generate to a different location... Nothing seemed to work. I was at the end of my tether and saw an ancient call (and remembered it when it first came out) about changing OID and UID to CHAR - not VARCHAR.

Of course when I looked at my PY812 F989999 they were NVARCHAR. I don't know how it happened, but it did happen!

Note that there is also an option in the jdbj.ini
disableOracleNcharTrimming

Man, if I had have looked at that a little closer!

No comments: