Monday 4 October 2010

running oracle install on linux (OEL)

I love it when things turn out to be much easier than I anticipate.

Graphical interface with linux is not really my thing, I like some old skool putty action myself.

But, when faced with a command line installation of 500 options or GUI “oracle installer”, I’m going to go GUI (gooey) every time.

when installing oracle products, I su to oracle in putty session.

vncserver at the command line

 

You will require a password to access your desktops.

Password:
Verify:
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/oracle/.Xauthority

New 'E1WEB:1 (oracle)' desktop is E1WEB:1

Creating default startup script /home/oracle/.vnc/xstartup
Starting applications specified in /home/oracle/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/oracle/.vnc/E1WEB:1.log

You’ll get the following on the screen.  Just choose a password and then use the VNC client on your desktop (I use realVNC) to access the server.

Remember that you are given a unique identifier at the end (E1WEB:1) The :1 is very important when connecting.

image

BTW, windows 7 “snipping tool” IS totally awesome.  Great for multiple desktops and virtuals etc.

No comments: